Friday, November 6, 2009

mind the GAP

E: No, I’m not referring to the gap between the train door and the station platform in London. I’m referring to good ol’ Gap Inc. Gap Jeans. The Gap. If you know me even moderately well, you know that most of my clothes I have either purchased at Goodwill (see article in recent Secession) or at the Gap. This is for several reasons. For starters, my godfather is the owner. My dad and Bob have been friends since high school. I’ve also worked there for years and made the best friends of my life. But the main reason why I love the Gap so much is the clothes! No shit! Although many readers may think that the Gap exclusively targets young mothers in upper middle class neighborhoods, it is also a great place for us college students to purchase reasonably priced well-made clothing. And what’s my favorite item of clothing from said store, you may ask? The jeans, of course! Gap has been selling jeans since 1969 and they just keep getting better and better especially with their recently released line of premium denim to celebrate the company’s 40th anniversary. The entire fit of the jean has been re-sculpted and remodeled with different styles to fit every single body type. Thank you, Patrick Robinson. You are so brilliant. Here are just a few of my favorites.

1. The Always Skinny in the saturated dark wash is my all time favorite. It has a low rise and is slim throughout the entire leg. It’s easily dressed up but because of its light stretch, it’s comfortable enough to wear lounging around at home.

2. My second favorite is the Always Skinny Destructed in the medium wash. It fits the same, but it has fun distressing details.

3. I also love the Destructed Boyfriend Jeans. They’re unbelievable comfortable and especially cute when cuffed with flats or ankle boots.

4. Finally, the Real Straights. They’re also low rise and slim through the hip and thigh, but they have a straight opening at the ankle. The silhouette is a little more casual and often times more flattering. Mine are in the faded medium wash.

There are also many other styles that the Gap has to offer from our seasonal cords that come in a plethora of colors, to nice black or khaki slacks for work. And if you’re not willing to spend $120 a pop, the Gap is the right place for you. The jeans range from $59.50-$69.50 with occasional outliers. So next time you go back home or take a weekend in Seattle, you should make sure to stop buy and try on a couple pairs. I doubt you’ll leave empty handed.

(This article is dedicated to Don Fisher (1928-2009) who recently passed away. You started one heck of a store and you will be dearly missed. No one will forget the passion you had towards your company and your powerful words ‘do what you love’. You were truly an amazing man.)

1a and 1b. 2. and 3a. 3b.4.



No comments:

Post a Comment